Cabbage Rolls with Tomato Sauce
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Remove core from the cabbage. Place cabbage in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; after about 3 minutes, outer leaves should be tender enough to remove. Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until leaves are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Remove the tough center stalk from each leaf; reserve extra leaves and line a large baking dish with them. (If leaves for rolling are too brittle, return to boiling water for 1-2 minutes.)
- Combine meat, rice, onion, egg and seasonings. Place about 2 tablespoons of meat mixture on each cabbage leaf. Roll toward the stalk, tucking in sides. Place rolls, seam side down, in a baking dish.
- Combine sauce ingredients; pour over rolls. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 225 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 685mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 8, 2009
I am looking for a recipe for the crockpot was used for cabbage rolls. You some how layered ingredients and that was that. I lost my copy and am interested in any suggestions anyone has. Please contact [email protected] Thanks in advance
Jun 18, 2009
Mom used to bake also. But I've discovered that the slow cooker is great. Start in the am and ready for dinner. Easy cleanup with liners. Mac and cheese go well with cabbage rolls.