Old-Fashioned Cabbage Rolls
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 medium head cabbage (3 pounds)
- 1/2 pound uncooked ground beef
- 1/2 pound uncooked ground pork
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh dill or dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Cook cabbage in boiling water just until outer leaves pull away easily from head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls. In a small bowl, combine the beef, pork, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, onion, rice, parsley, salt, dill and cayenne; mix well.
- Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each leaf, making a V-shaped cut. Place about 1/4 cup meat mixture on a cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides. Beginning from the cut end, roll up. Repeat.
- Slice the remaining cabbage; place in a Dutch oven. Arrange the cabbage rolls seam side down over sliced cabbage. Combine the tomatoes, sugar and remaining tomato sauce; pour over the rolls. Cover and bake at 350° until cabbage rolls are tender, 1-1/2 hours.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts2 each: 260 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
May 25, 2020
The basics of this recipe are good but I tweaked a few things trying to replicate my grandmother’s recipe which was never written down. I agree with other reviews it needed more liquid but I attribute that to my choice of using a slow cooker rather than the oven since it was 85 degrees outside! I used one can of tomato soup and 4 small serving cans of tomato juice, then just enough water to barely cover the rolls in the slow cooker. I also added an egg to the filling. I also think this will taste better the second day so I’d probably make it a day ahead next time. And using raw rice worked fine in the slow cooker but I’m not sure 90 minutes in the oven with raw rice would work as well.
May 24, 2020
Delicious!! my husband is not a fan of cabbage but loved this recipe and said he'd eat it this way. Followed the directions but possibly didn't cook the cabbage as long as I should have. The leaves came off good but weren't soft as shown in the video, still worked out great though!
May 18, 2020
I thought it was terrible. Can’t beloved I spent all theme on a pot of crap. Just wrong. I never rate anything but this just sucked. Very disappointed.
Apr 28, 2020
This recipe as it is seems too tart or bitter or something because of the tomatoes... and or sauce. not sure exactly. The way I was taught was do the cabbage as stated... in a roasting pan, put catchup and brown sugar tog. mix till you get a sweet/tangy taste to suit. add a bit of water. just enough to make a creamy type texture to the mix. add the cabbage and cook till done. for the inside of the rolls you can use meats as described in this recipe. or you can use just ground beef, cooked w onion added, mix tog w rice, salt and pepper to taste. (cook onions first, then add grnd beef, salt and pepper to taste, then add uncooked rice)
Apr 25, 2020
This recipe is fantastic! I added 1/2 condensed mushroom soup in meat mixture and the rest in the sauce. We also like to eat it with sour cream and chopped cilantro, which give it a zing. Will make this again and again! Thank you.
Apr 9, 2020
The best cabbage rolls I've ever made kids love them even better the second day
Apr 3, 2020
This is to ...knox50us.....If you cant PRINT save on your DESK TOP then PRINT IT,,,,That is what I did.... and I live in the PHILIPPINES..But i'm from Texas.. Jknox50us Jknox50us Jknox50us JBUT from Texas..
Mar 21, 2020
Couldn't find fresh Dill, I think it would have tasted even better. Doubled and made 2 trays of 10 rolls. Will make it again for sure. Yum.
Nov 27, 2019
The only thing I did different was used pork with onion and peppers mixed in. Otherwise I did cook a bit longer than the 1 1/2 hours. It was very yummy!! Served with a dollop or sour cream. Our new go to cabbage rolls. Very easy and so good! Thank you for sharing!
Aug 24, 2019
Needs to have stock added for the rice mixture to cook properly.