Old-Fashioned Cabbage Rolls
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 medium head cabbage (3 pounds)
- 1/2 pound uncooked ground beef
- 1/2 pound uncooked ground pork
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh dill or dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Cook cabbage in boiling water just until outer leaves pull away easily from head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls. In a small bowl, combine the beef, pork, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, onion, rice, parsley, salt, dill and cayenne; mix well.
- Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each leaf, making a V-shaped cut. Place about 1/4 cup meat mixture on a cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides. Beginning from the cut end, roll up. Repeat.
- Slice the remaining cabbage; place in a Dutch oven. Arrange the cabbage rolls seam side down over sliced cabbage. Combine the tomatoes, sugar and remaining tomato sauce; pour over the rolls. Cover and bake at 350° until cabbage rolls are tender, 1-1/2 hours.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts2 each: 260 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Nov 27, 2019
The only thing I did different was used pork with onion and peppers mixed in. Otherwise I did cook a bit longer than the 1 1/2 hours. It was very yummy!! Served with a dollop or sour cream. Our new go to cabbage rolls. Very easy and so good! Thank you for sharing!
Aug 24, 2019
Needs to have stock added for the rice mixture to cook properly.
Mar 3, 2019
Best I've had! Just made half recipe with 1/2 pound of burger that was left over and cabbage left from a corned beef dinner. Turned out great.
Jan 30, 2018
Can't print recipes won't make recipes. There should be a print option.
Oct 31, 2017
This was a very tasty recipe I would do it again.I didn't follow it exactly. I cooked my rice first.Alot of juice came out when I cooked them I guess because I did cook the rice first. I will put in a deeper pan next time because the juice ran over and made a mess in my oven
May 2, 2017
Ok. Not the best cabbage rolls I've had. The major problem I had was that the rice did not cook in the rolls and was still hard! I pierced the rolls and cooked longer but it still didn't help much. Definitely needs more moisture! Will continue looking for better recipes.
Jan 15, 2017
My family LOVED this... honestly, we were all skeptical because we aren't big fans of cabbage. However, the cabbage flavor wasn't overpowering. The filling was perfect!
Dec 28, 2016
Just popped in the oven cooking at 350 for one hour. took me longer to prepare.. never completely follow a recipe because I don't plan.. used Zatarans dirty rice, one can of tomatoes/sauce and only clove of garlic because that's what's here:) and everything else. I think it's going to be spectacular.. tomorrows dinner. guess ill be up late waiting for it to cool. I believe it will be worth it. Thank you.
Apr 3, 2013
Love this one and so do my children!!!
Jan 6, 2013
Serve with sour cream!