Beef Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 to 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
- Remove core from cabbage. Steam 12 large outer leaves until limp. Drain well.
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, rice, onion, egg and seasonings; mix well. Put about 1/3 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides, starting at an unfolded edge, and roll up leaf completely to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling. Place rolls in a large skillet or Dutch oven.
- Combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, water and lemon juice or vinegar; pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, spooning sauce over rolls occasionally during cooking.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 268 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Mar 10, 2018
this is how I make mine only adding cut up carrot chunks on bottom of pot and using one can of tomato sauce and one can of tomato soup. Excellent recipe, can also be made in the crock pot!
Nov 4, 2017
Made these last week......I used one tsp each garlic powder and dried parsley for the salt free seasoning....plus a,few splashes of Worcestershire sauce in the sauce. Also used about 1 1/2 hamburg,, and 1 1/2 cups cooked rice.My sister and brother in law declared them perfection!!! In fact they requested them in the first place! I'm Polish and grew up with them that my grandmother and great uncle made for family events! Most excellent recipe!!!
Oct 24, 2015
This was delicious..I used 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 ground pork, even friends that state they make the best stuffed cabbage loved it!!! definately a keeper.
Sep 6, 2015
Excellent recipe. Since I am a vegetarian, I modify it by using a meatless and soy-free substitute. In order for the cabbage to get nice and brown, I saute the rolls first.When they get slightly brown, I drain them on paper towel and thenput them in casserole with the sauce and place them in the oven at 350 for one hour.
Jul 30, 2015
EX!!!!!!...I used 1/2 pork & 1/2 beef sub'd 1 can 28 0z.Tomatoes for tomatoe sauce...
Nov 2, 2014
Perfect! We loved these. I tried a second time and my leaves kept tearing:(.
Oct 2, 2014
Love cabbage rolls. The brown sugar and vinegar give the sauce a sweet and sour zip.
Nov 6, 2012
Great recipe! Easy to prepare. I added a teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning to the meat mixture. Baked at 350 degrees for a little over an hour.
Jan 10, 2009
I made this same recipe in a crock pot but can't find the issue now and can't find the recipe on-line. Can you help?
Jul 13, 2008
My family thought these were wonderful!! I will definately be making them again
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.