Cabbage Roll Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + standing
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium head cabbage (2 pounds), shredded
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in one can of tomato sauce and next six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in rice and bacon; remove from heat.
- Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining cabbage. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with coarsely ground pepper.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 256 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2019
This was not a hit for my family. It lacked flavor and was not as good as traditional stuffed cabbage.
Oct 24, 2018
I enjoy making this one as it is SO MUCH easier than making traditional cabbage rolls. Everything layered in one dish!
Jun 8, 2018
MOST EXCELLENT RECIPE!Can it be frozen?
May 7, 2018
I've been making this for years. Always a favorite at my house. I add about 1 1/2 cups of sauerkraut to my cooked cabbage to give it a little zip, omit the cheese (I have one family member that's lactose intolerant), substitute the tomato sauce with 1 large can of chopped or crushed tomatoes & sprinkle some french-fried onions on the top for a little crunch.
May 6, 2018
Great flavor and no hassle rolling in the cabbage leaves. The sage seasoning is perfect. Thank you!
May 3, 2018
My family isn't "big" on spicy heat, so I had my doubts on adding the cayenne pepper. No worries! It wasn't overly hot and my entire family gobbled it up! Made it just as written and we all enjoyed it. Will definitely be making it again! Thanks for this recipe!
Apr 17, 2018
Is there a way to print a recipe from watching a video of how to make it. As it doesn't tell the amount of each ingredient?
Apr 14, 2018
I’ve never tried a Taste of Home recipe that my family didn’t like until now. I was very disappointed that this dish wasn’t very good. I had to purchase a couple of spices that weren’t cheap, in order to make the casserole, and now I have spices that most likely I will never use again, plus the expense of throwing 99% of it away.
Mar 31, 2018
i thought it tasted good, husband, who is one who could taste a quarter teaspoon of wine in eight gallons of soup, thought it was so so. I used packaged shredded cabbage and he felt it was too finely shredded and got lost in the casserole. Will try buying whole head next time and coarsely chopping. Will also leave off the cheese.
Mar 29, 2018
This is delicious. I didn’t have tomato sauce so I used a jar of spaghetti sauce and added additional dill. Used cheddar cheese and a little Parmesan because that’s what I had on hand. Excellent dish.