Cabbage Roll Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium head cabbage (2 pounds), shredded
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in 1 can tomato sauce and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in rice and bacon; remove from heat.
- Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining cabbage. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with coarsely ground pepper.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 256 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Oct 5, 2019
This is actually a contest winner. I entered this one in the Florida Beef Cookoff in the mid 1980s and I believe it won third place. Some of the spices are altered here, but basically it’s the same recipe. They published it when I was in the finals of the contest, and I’ve also given it to many, many people. Most people love it. Only one I ever served it to who doesn’t like it is one of my six grown children. I guess his Lithuanian genes (I am 100%) got trumped by my husband’s genes , lol.
Oct 5, 2019
Cheryl when I see a video, I make note of the title and type that into the search box and can usually find the whole recipe that way.
Jan 21, 2019
This was not a hit for my family. It lacked flavor and was not as good as traditional stuffed cabbage.
Oct 24, 2018
I enjoy making this one as it is SO MUCH easier than making traditional cabbage rolls. Everything layered in one dish!
Jun 8, 2018
MOST EXCELLENT RECIPE!Can it be frozen?
May 7, 2018
I've been making this for years. Always a favorite at my house. I add about 1 1/2 cups of sauerkraut to my cooked cabbage to give it a little zip, omit the cheese (I have one family member that's lactose intolerant), substitute the tomato sauce with 1 large can of chopped or crushed tomatoes & sprinkle some french-fried onions on the top for a little crunch.
May 6, 2018
Great flavor and no hassle rolling in the cabbage leaves. The sage seasoning is perfect. Thank you!
May 3, 2018
My family isn't "big" on spicy heat, so I had my doubts on adding the cayenne pepper. No worries! It wasn't overly hot and my entire family gobbled it up! Made it just as written and we all enjoyed it. Will definitely be making it again! Thanks for this recipe!
Apr 17, 2018
Is there a way to print a recipe from watching a video of how to make it. As it doesn't tell the amount of each ingredient?
Apr 14, 2018
I’ve never tried a Taste of Home recipe that my family didn’t like until now. I was very disappointed that this dish wasn’t very good. I had to purchase a couple of spices that weren’t cheap, in order to make the casserole, and now I have spices that most likely I will never use again, plus the expense of throwing 99% of it away.