Cabbage Roll Skillet
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small head cabbage, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid; coarsely chop tomatoes. In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles. Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, seasonings, chopped tomatoes and reserved liquid.
- Add cabbage and pepper; cook, covered, 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups with 2/3 cup rice: 332 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 439mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 9g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat.
Oct 8, 2017
This recipe was easy to make. I adjusted the flavors for our tastes.
Oct 7, 2017
I made this as written, and I was very disappointed. I don't know if it was the oregano or the thyme, but the spice presence was too strong. I should have listened to my little voice when it told me that these two spices didn't have any place in a cabbage roll recipe. Had to throw it away, such a waste.
Aug 31, 2017
Made this recipe for just the two of us and it was delicious. I froze the leftovers and when I reheated it, it still tasted as fresh as when I first made it
Feb 9, 2017
I made this for dinner tonight. It was very good and easy to make. I did not add the green pepper and I added the rice to the cabbage mixture instead of serving the cabbage over the top. We liked it a lot and I will be using this recipe again and again.
Jan 4, 2016
Tried this recipe for New Year's Day. It was YUMMY!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.