Cabbage Roll Skillet
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small head cabbage, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid; coarsely chop tomatoes. In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles. Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, seasonings, chopped tomatoes and reserved liquid.
- Add cabbage and pepper; cook, covered, 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups with 2/3 cup rice: 332 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 439mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 9g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 2, 2019
Thanks! It's very helpful. I stress on the point that when on a new diet, a daily plan is very important Without it it’s too easy to fall for peer pressure, to be unprepared and to make bad decisions. I was one among those people who had knowledge about what to eat and what not to, but didn't have a daily plan to carry me through that critical first month until I came across something called as 28-Day Keto challenge. It's more than a plan, a challenge which guided me every step of my way. Their guidance helped me a lot and now I feel a sense of accomplishment. I notice my skin and hair improve and even can sleep better now. I lost a lot of weight too and I now have that energy which I haven't felt in years. I very strongly recommend you this. Visit https://bit.ly/2X8zIgv
Oct 8, 2017
This recipe was easy to make. I adjusted the flavors for our tastes.
Oct 7, 2017
I made this as written, and I was very disappointed. I don't know if it was the oregano or the thyme, but the spice presence was too strong. I should have listened to my little voice when it told me that these two spices didn't have any place in a cabbage roll recipe. Had to throw it away, such a waste.
Aug 31, 2017
Made this recipe for just the two of us and it was delicious. I froze the leftovers and when I reheated it, it still tasted as fresh as when I first made it
Feb 9, 2017
I made this for dinner tonight. It was very good and easy to make. I did not add the green pepper and I added the rice to the cabbage mixture instead of serving the cabbage over the top. We liked it a lot and I will be using this recipe again and again.
Jan 4, 2016
Tried this recipe for New Year's Day. It was YUMMY!!!