Scalloped Creamy Cabbage Casserole
I always read the food section in newspapers and magazines. If I find a recipe that I think my family will like, I test it out. I found this one while traveling some years ago. My family like it and it has become one of our favorites.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 5 to 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups coarsely crushed sour cream and chive croutons, divided
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, cook cabbage in boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes or until almost tender; drain. In a smaller saucepan, saute onions and green pepper in butter until tender. Combine cabbage, onion-pepper mixture, cheese and 1-1/2 cups of croutons.
- Spoon into a 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour milk or cream overall; do not stir. Sprinkle with remaining croutons. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 255 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Scalloped Cabbage in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.