Mexican Cabbage Roll Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups chopped cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Pico de gallo and reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook and crumble beef with seasonings over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion and cabbage until crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in beef, chilies, water and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, to allow flavors to blend, about 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro. If desired, top with pico de gallo and sour cream. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups (calculated without optional toppings): 186 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 604mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Dec 12, 2016
This is a good start to what could be a great recipe. The problem is there aren't enough spices or flavor in the dish. When I make any type of cabbage, I season it very well while cooking. This recipe only calls for onion while it is cooking. I would recommend layering flavors on the cabbage, then adding your beef, with the additional flavors.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.