Cream of Cabbage Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12-14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup diced peeled rutabaga
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pepper to taste
- Additional milk, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Add potatoes, onion, rutabaga and carrots. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cabbage, celery and green pepper; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic, salt and dill. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour; cook and stir over medium heat until golden brown. Gradually add milk and broth, stirring until smooth. Add cheese, thyme and pepper; cook on low until cheese is melted. Stir into vegetable mixture; simmer for 5 minutes. Thin with milk if needed.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 278 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 1024mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 30, 2017
I’ve had many people raise an eyebrow when I mention this soup, but It really is delicious. An all time favorite.
Sep 9, 2016
Yum, love cabbage, love rutabaga, this is delicious and just right to use those fall vegetables after the flush of tomatoes and zucchini are gone.
Mar 11, 2013
I didn't know what to do with the cabbage and rutabaga from my CSA basket and thought I'd give this recipe a try. My family, though initially dubious of cabbage soup, LOVED it. I've shared this recipe with other family members and it gets rave reviews every time. I'm not a huge dill fan so I substituted Thyme...and it's just as good.
Dec 5, 2011
Yummy, yummy soup!!! Thanks for the recipe it is a keeper!
Apr 10, 2011
Best soup ever!! The rutabaga is the best! Try it!
Jan 18, 2010
Left out the green pepper (we don't like), replaced rutabaga w/ additional potato & carrot and used cheddar instead of Velveeta. Good hearty soup, very tasty, a little different.
Jul 1, 2009
For heavens sake - get a life. No one is forcing you to make this soup.
May 8, 2009
I realize big families have to make do with what they have and can afford. But somewhere along the line the cook has to be responsible for the excess in things not so good for you- in this case, the sodium and fat...JMO