Creamed Cabbage and Ham Soup
Here's a delicious use of the ham and cabbage combination. A thick and hearty soup combined with subtle flavors, it is a favorite meal on our table during the winter months.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, combine broth and vegetables. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Gradually add milk and cream; cook and stir until thickened. Stir into vegetable mixture. Add ham, salt, pepper and thyme; heat through. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 262 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1262mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Feb 22, 2014
this was good
Dec 8, 2013
This was surprisingly good!
Feb 27, 2011
This is a really good cabbage soup. My grandsons loved this soup and normally do not eat cabbage.