Creamed Cabbage Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage (3 pounds) , shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large Dutch oven, combine the broth, celery, cabbage, onion and carrot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Combine cream and milk; gradually add to flour mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Add ham and thyme and heat through. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 220 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Mar 20, 2020
Delicious! Had leftovers from a ham and cabbage and carrots left over from St, Patty’s Day, so I made this soup. OMGosh! Am so glad I did! It’s a heart soup and one I will make again and again!
Sep 4, 2016
Great soup! I'll definitely make this again!
Aug 16, 2016
My family loves creamed cabbage as a side dish, so when I discovered this recipe I had to try it. It went over big with them and they love it on a cold winter day or any other time!
Feb 23, 2014
Sep 29, 2013
I make this soup a few times each winter. My family absolutely love it. for a neat twist that kids love, switch out the green cabbage with red cabbage. Then this tasty soup becomes Purple Soup.
Jan 20, 2012
This soup was a big hit with my husband and I. The only substitution that I made was instead of 2 cans of chicken broth, I used 1 can of chicken broth and 1 can of vegetable broth. Delicious and satisfying!
Jun 1, 2010
will try sausage next time.
Oct 29, 2009
Wonderful, it a hit. I modified it by eliminating the ham. I first browned 1 lb. of sausage, then added the vegetables and broth and contined as the recipe stated.