Creamed Cabbage Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage (3 pounds) , shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large Dutch oven, combine the broth, celery, cabbage, onion and carrot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Combine cream and milk; gradually add to flour mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Add ham and thyme and heat through. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 220 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Sep 4, 2016
Great soup! I'll definitely make this again!
Aug 16, 2016
My family loves creamed cabbage as a side dish, so when I discovered this recipe I had to try it. It went over big with them and they love it on a cold winter day or any other time!
Feb 23, 2014
Jan 3, 2014
we make this every year for New Years. The only thing we change is mix a little jalapeno juice in with the chicken broth and diced jalapenos with the cabbage and cook. We like a little kick with our soup! My dad hates cabbage, and loves this soup. So good!
Sep 29, 2013
I make this soup a few times each winter. My family absolutely love it. for a neat twist that kids love, switch out the green cabbage with red cabbage. Then this tasty soup becomes Purple Soup.
Jan 20, 2012
This soup was a big hit with my husband and I. The only substitution that I made was instead of 2 cans of chicken broth, I used 1 can of chicken broth and 1 can of vegetable broth. Delicious and satisfying!
Jun 1, 2010
will try sausage next time.
Oct 29, 2009
Wonderful, it a hit. I modified it by eliminating the ham. I first browned 1 lb. of sausage, then added the vegetables and broth and contined as the recipe stated.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.