Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 cups sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 5 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1-1/3 cups chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- In a large Dutch oven, saute leeks in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, 1/2 teaspoon salt and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt remaining 1/4 cup butter. Stir in flour, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt until smooth; gradually add milk and bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir into vegetables. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 284 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 713mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 14, 2019
This is very nice, l doubled the recipe but used 4 tbsp of cornstarch rather than flour for thickener. A couple of people have gluten issues. So l halted the thickening, perfect, I;ll make this again. Janet. VFE
May 11, 2015
This is a great soup. It's quick, easy, and flavourful. It is definitely a keeper.
Feb 5, 2015
First time making it tonite--very nummy! Used chicken broth in place of water and added a small chunk of leftover cooked ham that I chopped/diced up. Pretty simple to prepare. Made quite a full pot....looking forward to sharing it with other family and friends.
Feb 27, 2014
This is our new favorite soup! I've made it several times and it's always a hit. I've made it using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth for friends who are vegetarian. Also I usually add about 1 cup of half and half along with the milk. Otherwise it's great just the way it is!
Mar 6, 2013
This soup turned out delicious! Very simple to prepare and tasted wonderful! I took my time making it, as I was preparing other dishes as well. A definate addition to my recipe collection!
Nov 3, 2012
This made a nice pot of soup. I used 2 cups chicken stock in place of the water. Very tasty!
Oct 17, 2012
Ditto what cad222 wrote! This went over well with us all...even my husband who is not normally a fan of soup. He says "this one has some substance!" We will be making it again for sure. (I omitted the carrots and garnished with a little shredded cheese & crumbled bacon.)
Sep 22, 2012
Made this tonight with fresh potatoes, leeks, and carrots from my garden. It turned out great. Good fall comfort food!
Apr 21, 2012
This was good, but it needed more liquid and we didn't even add the celery. We also left out the bouillon cubes because we didn't have any. This was a great use of the leeks I found - prewashed, prechopped, and frozen for 1 Euro for a kilogram.
Feb 12, 2012
We love this soup, I've made it 3 times in the last month. I use the Knorr homestyle stock concentrate instead of boullion and it is really delicious.