Potato Soup With Beans
Winter winds can blow strong here on the Jersey shore. But this rich soup featuring potatoes, beans and sour cream is sure to warm your body and soul!—Christine Ecker, Linwood, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook carrots in butter for 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in the broth, potatoes, garlic and dill. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- With a slotted spoon, remove half of the potatoes to a bowl; mash with a fork. Return to pan. Stir in the beans. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sour cream and pepper; add to soup. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until heated through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 225 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 834mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Potato Soup With Beans in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.