Vegan Potato Leek Soup
This vegan potato leek soup uses starchy potatoes to thicken and create a creamy consistency, so there's no need to stir in cream at the end. Top with green onions, chives or your favorite vegan shredded cheese before serving. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, optional
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a nonstick Dutch oven, saute the celery, onions, leeks, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Add the potatoes, broth, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Puree soup to desired consistency using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender. Return to pan. If desired, stir in coconut milk. Cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle with green onions.