Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
I love mushrooms and am learning how to make heartier dishes out of my old favorites. This delicious vegan cream of mushroom soup is low in fat and high in nutrition, and it meets my dietary restrictions. —Maria Davis, Flower Mound, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 pound fresh oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cups water
- 5 medium carrots, halved
- 5 celery ribs, halved
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 packages (1 ounce each) dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package (12.3 ounces) silken firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine portabella mushrooms, oyster mushrooms and soy sauce. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Strain liquid into a large stockpot, leaving mushrooms in bowl. Add the water, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves and thyme to stock pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Strain and discard vegetables from stockpot. Return liquid to pot. Stir in lemon juice, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- In another large microwave-safe bowl, heat 2 cups vegetable broth almost to a boil. Add dried mushrooms and let stand until softened, 2-3 minutes. Strain liquid into stockpot, reserving 1/2 cup. Combine reconstituted mushrooms with portabella and oyster mushrooms. Spoon half the mushrooms into stockpot. Spoon the remaining mushrooms into a blender. Add tofu and reserved broth. Cover and blend until smooth; stir into stockpot. Cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle with green onions.