Creamy Garlic & Mushroom Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes13 servings (1 cup each)
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 1-2/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, saute mushrooms in butter in batches until tender. Return all to the pan; add garlic and onions. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended.
- Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cream, thyme, basil, salt and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 246 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 539mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2015
I have made this now twice. It is delicious. My husband has even requested this soup. Instead of the cream I use low fat half&half and I use beef broth since my husband does not like chicken. Delicious even with these changes.
Jan 28, 2015
Thank you, Mandy for a delicious recipe. As I said on FB, I used whey left from making homemade ricotta, and instead of heavy cream, I used Greek yogurt. I used chicken boullion to flavor the whey. We absolutely loved the mixed mushrooms and the garlic mellowed into a pleasing taste. I did add some spinach and cooked chicken to make it more hearty. It is definitely a keeper!