Creamy Garlic & Mushroom Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes13 servings (1 cup each)
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 1-2/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, saute mushrooms in butter in batches until tender. Return all to the pan; add garlic and onions. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended.
- Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cream, thyme, basil, salt and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 246 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 539mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 11, 2015
I have made this now twice. It is delicious. My husband has even requested this soup. Instead of the cream I use low fat half&half and I use beef broth since my husband does not like chicken. Delicious even with these changes.
Jan 28, 2015
Thank you, Mandy for a delicious recipe. As I said on FB, I used whey left from making homemade ricotta, and instead of heavy cream, I used Greek yogurt. I used chicken boullion to flavor the whey. We absolutely loved the mixed mushrooms and the garlic mellowed into a pleasing taste. I did add some spinach and cooked chicken to make it more hearty. It is definitely a keeper!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.