Creamy Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 quart water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart milk
- Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine potatoes, celery, onion, water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool slightly. Place half of the potato mixture in a blender; cover and puree. Repeat with remaining potato mixture; set aside.
- In the same kettle, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Return potato puree to the pan and heat through. Garnish individual servings with sour cream and cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 208 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 912mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Feb 19, 2018
First time I made this soup. My husband and I loved it! Will definitely make again, with an assortment of small garnishes of choice.
Apr 8, 2016
This was very good. I made it as part of my St. Patrick's Day menu. I used a few extra potatoes to add thickness to the soup instead of the flour and it turned out just fine. A good recipe!
Dec 25, 2011
I make this recipe all the time. It is so yummy and pretty easy. I sometimes sub straight chicken broth for the bouillon and quart of water - depends on what I have on hand and what makes life easier. Also, have been known to sub half-and-half or heavy whipping cream for the milk. I serve it with a generous sprinkling of cheese and bacon bits. In my opinion, it's the bacon bits that really take the flavor over the top for goodness. Enjoy. This is a wonderful go-to recipe that is super quick.
Dec 17, 2008
I made this soup on Dec 17, 2008 and it's very good. I'll be making this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.