Creamy Carrot Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling Cook: 40 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4-1/2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the carrots, potato, broth and ginger. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool for 15 minutes.
- In a blender, cover and puree in batches. Return all to the pan; stir in the cream, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 267 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 1, 2013
Oh, yummy! I substituted 1 tsp. onion powder, boiled the veggies in water. Used the chicken broth while pureeing & skipped the rosemary. I increased the ginger to 3 1/2 tsps. for better flavor.
Feb 5, 2013
A friend made this on Sunday- I couldn't stop eating it. I made it and brought it to work to share with co-workers who all loved it. I increased ginger using fresh grated ginger root, and lightened it by using half & half and 1% milk. It was still awesome and just a little better for my heart!
Feb 7, 2011
This is a wonderful recipe! I don't care for rosemary so I left that out. I added a light sprinkling of ground cinnamon to the top right before serving to give it a little extra something. Yummy!!
Sep 29, 2010
very thick & rich. wonderful taste & lovely aroma while cooking.
Nov 21, 2009
This soup was very rich. I recommend a small serving. Plan on serving only to accompany the main course.
Jan 31, 2009
This is my family's favorite soup. At the first hint of a chill in the air they all start begging me for it. Even those not crazy about carrots will love it.
Feb 1, 2008
Add crumbled bacon just before serving.Delicious soup.
Jan 15, 2008
a teaspoon of sherry adds a nice touch