Garlic Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makesabout 4 cups
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a 3-cup baking dish, combine the garlic and oil. Cover and bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a large saucepan, bring the garlic, tomatoes and tomato puree to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the cream, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cool slightly. Place half of the soup at a time in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Return to the pan; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 130 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 355mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
May 1, 2013
I find this recipe a little short on flavor, despite using a few extra garlic cloves. I'll attempt this recipe again, but I'd like to try it with half-and-half, instead of whipping cream, and I might throw in some onion.
Aug 6, 2011
This soup was ok. I wouldn't make it again.
May 25, 2010
Yummy. If you love garlic and tomatoes then this is the recipe for you!
Aug 15, 2009
WHipping cream is the way to go, as I used milk the 1st time to decrease the fat content and it was too runny/watered down. I also used half of the spices, as the garlic gave it a great flavor without them. I found them a little bit overpowering.-MEliss
May 19, 2009
I used a 28 oz can of tomatoes and pureed 1 cup of the tomatoes and used the rest diced.I LOVE this soup! Will make again for sure, it was quite delicious, just the right amount of seasoning. I was told I smelled like garlic the next day though : )
Nov 12, 2008
I used a quart of canned tomatoes and pureed the other quart. I used the cuisinart hand blender to puree after adding the cream. It was sooo easy and absolutely delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.