Simple Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 carton (48 ounces) chicken broth
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place tomatoes with juices in a blender; cover and process until pureed. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth. Add pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes to allow flavors to blend. If desired, sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without cheese): 120 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 1270mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 15, 2019
I have never been a tomato soup fan but my elderly aunt, for whom I cook, loves a good tomato soup. Almost all canned soups have too much sodium for her---and me. The sodium content shown for this recipe would be way too high but I used unsalted butter and lower sodium tomatoes and broth so that she could eat it. I actually liked it and would make it again.
Jun 21, 2019
This was on my to-try list for a long time and we are glad we tried it. The canned tomatoes with added spices are glorious! The red onion and garlic sure makes it zippy. Was a great variety of this favorite soup.
Nov 27, 2018
Excellent soup. I thought it was going to be too thin, but it thickened as it cooked. As others suggested, you can add herbs and spices to suit your personal taste.
Nov 13, 2018
This soup was very good. I didn't have two cans of italian tomatoes so I used one can of rotel. It gave the soup a nice zip, but was thicker because the rotel is smaller in size, so I added a little milk to thin it out and it was delicious!
Mar 5, 2018
I'm not a big tomato soup fan, but made this to go with homemade Italian Herb bread/grilled cheese sandwiches - great for dunking - and the soup was tasty too! Kids loved it; I thought it was really good. (Changes - I made a half batch, used water/bouillon granules and used yellow onion vs. red.)
Feb 1, 2018
easy enough and very good
Jan 4, 2018
I didn't care for this at all. Guess it's just not my kind of tomato soup.
Dec 30, 2017
I'll FOR SURE do this recipe. really love Tyler Florences' roasted tomato soup recipe-think found on foodnetwork website-love a great heartwarming tomato soup with oooey goooey grilled cheesey sandwich-I'll report results when I unbox my new crockpot-wanna smell it cooking away all day plus think it adds richer flavor-home made seasoned croutons will top it
Dec 10, 2017
I am so glad I found your recipe and intend to make it tonight. I love a good tomato soup but most of the recipes I've tried have tasted, in my opinion, more like marinara sauce than soup. This one sounds exactly like what I've been looking for. Maybe it's the addition of the chicken broth. I'll probably add heavy cream or half and half but that's just personal preference. Thanks for sharing!
Dec 9, 2017
Can this soup be can