Satisfying Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Minced fresh basil, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until tender, 2-4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan and heat through. If desired, top with fresh minced basil. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Grilled Cheese Croutons:
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 76 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2019
I have had a hard time finding a good tomato soup recipe, until this one. Super quick and easy to make. I only substituted vegetable broth for the water, and. I added some grated cheddar cheese on it, just before serving. That makes it a rosy cheddar. Delish
Jan 17, 2019
We loved this soup. I doubled the recipe and used a combination of stewed and crushed tomatoes. Didn't puree the finished soup, but I did puree the stewed tomatoes before I added them to the pot. I did add a bit more kosher salt and brown sugar than indicated in the doubled ingredients and finished the soup with a little half
Dec 11, 2018
Loved this! So quick and easy. I added some garlic and used chicken broth instead of water. Looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
May 14, 2017
Good tomato soup. I made it along side patty melts. The husband loved it. I did add a bit more salt and pepper as I thought it needed more seasoning.
Feb 11, 2017
Only one minor change to this one- I used dried celery flakes because I have a ton on hand. I made the soup and froze it in single servings. I defrosted it and reheated it on the stove. I liked the consistency and flavor, and you can't beat how fast it goes together.
Jan 23, 2016
While we enjoyed this, next time I'd add some more water and milk or half and half. It was two much like a sauce or as someone else said "V8" for us. We prefer a creamier tomato soup. That said, we'll definitely make it again, with a few tweaks.
Oct 1, 2015
The taste was very savory! It reminded me of a V8 drink. I added some fresh basil for added spice. I didn't care for the chunky texture. Even after putting it in the blender, it was a little too thick for me. So I put a cup of so in a soup bowl and added a half cup water for a "soup-like" texture.
Feb 12, 2015
very quick, very fresh tasting, nice flavor combinations- love it
Nov 21, 2014
This recipe is savory and delicious. I used diced tomatoes with oregano and garlic because that's what I had here, and I followed the recipe for the rest of the seasonings including more oregano, etc. I will be making this again! I also served it chunky instead of pureeing it. Yummy!