Hearty Pasta Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
Makes14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add the next 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain. Stir into slow cooker; cover and cook 30 minutes longer. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 149 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 809mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Jan 19, 2016
This soup is awesome. Didn't have tortellini, so used regular pasta. Still good. My husband who is not soup eater, loved it and told me to make it again with the tortellini. Don't forget the cheese on top.
Feb 22, 2009
This soup really was amazing, as it snowed again today in Vermont, what a treat to first smell this soup and then to eat it! and dont forget the cheese, it is the finishing touch!
Oct 5, 2008
This is a wonderful recipe. I add the zucchini closer to the end because I don't like it to be over cooked. My family loves this soup and I've had a lot of recipe requests.Melissa
Aug 12, 2008
This is a great soup recipe. And so easy. I did however make afew changes. I changed the zucchini to fresh green beans that I microwaved first so they would not be crunchy. Added 2 small potatoes that I peeled and then chopped.I blended the mushrooms so that my picky eaters could not pick them out. And added spiral pasta instead of the tortellini. Thanks for a wonderful recipe Lydia.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.