Tomato Dill Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes4 servings (1 quart)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh dill or 1 to 2 teaspoons dill weed
- In a large saucepan saute onion and garlic in oil and butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper; cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in tomato paste.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1/2 cup of water; stir until smooth. Stir into saucepan. Gradually stir in remaining water until smooth; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Place mixture in a sieve over a large bowl. With the back of a spoon, press vegetables through the sieve to remove seeds and skin; return puree to pan. Add cream and dill; cook over low heat just until heated through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 351 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 387mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 7, 2013
A lot of work for a pretty bland soup. We added additional salt, pepper and dill, but it still wasn't a winner in my book.
Oct 1, 2012
This was a very bland soup and I really felt like I wasted my time and garden fresh tomatoes!
Aug 8, 2011
super simple to make! This soup is creamy and savory, I toasted some sourdough bread to have along with dinner!
Aug 1, 2011
Love this soup! I added more pepper and red pepper..Perfect:)
Oct 23, 2010
This is a very creamy soup that is easy to make, loaded with flavor, & tastes wonderful. My mom couldn't get enough of it :) This will be one that I will make a lot more.
Jan 4, 2008
What is the purpose of whipping the cream if it is going to be stirred in and cooked?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.