Chicken with Garlic-Tomato Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup Italian tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Hot cooked pasta
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with pepper. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken on each side in 1 teaspoon oil. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute tomatoes and garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add carrots; saute 2-3 minutes longer. Combine the tomato sauce, broth, tomato paste and rosemary; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Return chicken to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and carrots are crisp-tender. Serve with pasta.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 197 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 510mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 28, 2019
"I love this recipe for chicken in red sauce over pasta except that I omitted the chicken, substituted rice and used my own pasta sauce" is well-played.
Oct 25, 2018
I gave this a 5 star review because it is worth 5 stars! I omitted the chicken breasts in the recipe and I used cooked rice in place of the pasta, but otherwise I followed the recipe as it is written. Oh, and I should admit I had my own tomatoe sauce in the frig because I had made some homemade salsa the day before and I saved the juice I had to strain so my salsa would be more dense and less soupy in texture.
Jun 22, 2009
I really liked this recipe. I left out the carrots though since I don't care for them and I added some fresh rosemary.