Chicken with Garlic-Tomato Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup Italian tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Hot cooked pasta
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with pepper. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken on each side in 1 teaspoon oil. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute tomatoes and garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add carrots; saute 2-3 minutes longer. Combine the tomato sauce, broth, tomato paste and rosemary; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Return chicken to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and carrots are crisp-tender. Serve with pasta.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 197 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 510mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 25, 2018
I gave this a 5 star review because it is worth 5 stars! I omitted the chicken breasts in the recipe and I used cooked rice in place of the pasta, but otherwise I followed the recipe as it is written. Oh, and I should admit I had my own tomatoe sauce in the frig because I had made some homemade salsa the day before and I saved the juice I had to strain so my salsa would be more dense and less soupy in texture.
Jun 22, 2009
I really liked this recipe. I left out the carrots though since I don't care for them and I added some fresh rosemary.