Creamy Onion Soup
My husband works at a grain elevator and is outside in all kinds of weather. He appreciates having a big bowl of this soup waiting when he comes home.—Naomi Giddis, Two Buttes, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound yellow onions (about 3 medium), sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Dash each pepper and dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- In a 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat, saute onions in butter. Add broth, pepper, thyme and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add 1-2/3 cups milk. Stir flour into remaining milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 133 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Creamy Onion Soup in Taste of Home June/July 1997