Creamy Swiss Onion Soup
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cubed day-old bread
- 3 large onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups milk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Pepper to taste
- Fresh minced chives or parsley
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter; toss with bread cubes. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes; turn and bake 7 minutes longer or until toasted.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onions in remaining butter until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Stir in water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth; gradually stir into onion mixture. Stir in remaining milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in 3/4 cup Swiss cheese and pepper.
- Ladle into four ovenproof bowls; sprinkle with reserved croutons and remaining cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat until cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with chives.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 20, 2014
This was easy to make and so yummy. The onion lends a nice sweetness to this soup. I will make it again. I like it because it contains ingredients I am likely to have in the house. I didn't bother making it with the bread cubes and it was still very good.
Feb 4, 2010
My whole family loves this soup! I make it lighter with less butter.