Swiss and Onion Casserole
If you like French onion soup, you'll love this dish. It's perfect to serve with a Sunday roast beef dinner. -Beth Perry, Jacksonville, Florida.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Pepper to taste
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 8 slices French bread, buttered on both sides
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Saute onions until translucent and slightly brown. Layer onions and two-thirds of the cheese in a 2-qt. baking dish, sprinkling pepper between layers.
- In a saucepan, heat soup, milk and soy sauce; stir to blend. Pour over onions and stir gently. Top with bread. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Push bread under sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer.
Originally published as Cheesy Onion Caserole in Complete Guide to Country Cooking Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.