Cheesy Onion Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 large sweet white onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Pepper to taste
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 8 slices French bread, buttered on both sides
- In a skillet, saute onions in butter until transparent and slightly browned. Layer onions, two-thirds of the cheese and the pepper in a 2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk and soy sauce until blended; heat through. Pour over casserole and stir gently. Top with bread slices.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Press bread slices down under sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 370 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 828mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Sep 20, 2013
These are awesome.
Oct 16, 2010
Very good, however I used mozzarella in place of swiss.
Feb 17, 2010
This is really cheesy and filling. We ate all the bread off it the night I served it. I topped baked potatoes with the leftovers. Excellent!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.