Cheesy Onion Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 large sweet white onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Pepper to taste
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 8 slices French bread, buttered on both sides
- In a skillet, saute onions in butter until transparent and slightly browned. Layer onions, two-thirds of the cheese and the pepper in a 2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk and soy sauce until blended; heat through. Pour over casserole and stir gently. Top with bread slices.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Press bread slices down under sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer.
Mar 21, 2019
Made this casserole exactly as written and usually have it on holidays. Everybody who has tasted it loves it. I will be making it again this Easter!
Sep 20, 2013
These are awesome.
Oct 16, 2010
Very good, however I used mozzarella in place of swiss.
Feb 17, 2010
This is really cheesy and filling. We ate all the bread off it the night I served it. I topped baked potatoes with the leftovers. Excellent!