Broccoli Cream Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 9 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Pinch each dried basil, thyme and rubbed sage
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, bring broccoli and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. In a small skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender; add to broccoli mixture. Stir in the bay leaf and remaining seasonings. simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into broccoli mixture; add buttermilk and cream. Heat through (do not boil). Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 265 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 1005mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Aug 23, 2019
We had about 4 cups of left over broccoli and I suggested to my wife,A "Let try and make a cream of broccoli soup." We found the Taste of Home recipe, halved each of the ingredients, followed the directions, made the soup, and tomorrow I am going to the grocery store to buy broccoli just to make soup. It was Grrreat.
May 14, 2018
An absolutely wonderful soup! Easy to prepare and loved by even those who don't care for broccoli!
Apr 30, 2017
The buttermilk gives this recipe its distinctive flavor. I have been making this Broccoli Cream Soup since it originally was published in Taste of Home--outstanding!
Dec 11, 2016
Made exactly per recipe and it was yummy and full of flavor! Might try varying the vegetables next time, just for fun.
Sep 29, 2015
I am a 5 Star Chef Of The Future....I always add my own twist on these recipes....Added Broccoli 2 medium bunch Broccoli and 1 Small head Cauliflower, Carrots, Potatoes, dice small. After putting all ingredients together and cook, I poured 1/2 into blender and pureed, added back to soup, WOW, WOW. I served with lightly toasted French Garlic Bread...A meal fit for a King/Queen....lol....lol....Yummmmm. A great fall comfort soup...
Jan 22, 2011
A good recipe; liked the buttermilk in it. Calls for too much broccoli. One head or one box frozen is plenty.
Mar 14, 2010
This like my mom made. Would recommend others to try. Easy to do.
Feb 14, 2010
Made a double batch for a wedding shower, everyone loved it. Nice and creamy.