Cream of Vegetable Soup
The good news about Vicki Kamstra's slimmed-down soup is traveling fast. "I belong to an RV club and have passed on this recipe to 30 other women," she says from Spokane, Washington.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups chopped sweet onions
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Fresh basil
- In Dutch oven, saute the onions, carrots and celery in oil until onions are tender. Add potatoes and cauliflower; saute 5-6 minutes longer. Add the broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Let stand until cool.
- Puree vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor in batches. Return all to the pan. Stir in cream; heat through. (Do not boil.) Garnish with fresh basil.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 132 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 773mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Cream of Vegetable Soup in Light & Tasty December/January 2005