Cream of Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, combine the 4 cups of broth, lentils, bay leaf and clove. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter until crisp-tender. Add the carrots, salt, sugar, curry powder and pepper; saute until vegetables are tender, 2-3 minutes longer . Add garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- Drain lentils; discard broth, bay leaf and clove. Add to vegetable mixture. Stir in the spinach, remaining 2 cups broth, cream, lemon juice and parsley; cook over low heat until heated through and spinach is wilted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 344 calories, 20g fat (13g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 635mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 13g protein.
Jan 12, 2020
I put in the 2 cups of whipping cream which seemed like too much. Mine seemed too "soupy" unlike other reviews. Not sure what to do with the big batch that I have. Thinking of adding corn or something because there is so much liquid. Any ideas?
Apr 24, 2017
Here video me trying out recipe.https://youtu.be/N5iJ_mjGM84
Nov 11, 2014
Loved this soup. This will be a staple recipe. I think next time I will throw in some bacon
Oct 29, 2011
Loved the soup, especially the subtle curry flavor. I also felt the 1-1/2 cups of cream did not make the soup "soupy" enough so I added what was left of the broth that I had drained. I also substituted light cream for the heavy cream. I will definately make this soup again.
Jan 13, 2011
I'm never going to cook lentis any other way. This is one of the best recipes I have tried.
Nov 23, 2010
Ok, I got it. You do have to throw away the broth (it's got an earthy flavour, not so nice). The soup tastes great, btw.
Nov 23, 2010
I am making the soup right now and I'm not sure whether I should discard the broth in which I boiled the lentils. Will I really get 2 1/2 quarts of soup if I throw that away? Is the recipe badly written? Am I missing something here?
Nov 11, 2010
This recipe appealed to me because it was so different from the usual tomato-based lentil soup recipes. We really enjoyed it. The only problem I had was that the 1 -1/2 cups of cream did not make the mixture "soupy" enough. I had used evaporated milk rather than cream, but that should have made no difference. I added perhaps another cup of fat-free half & half to make the soup liquid enough. It was delicious, however! The seasonings are very subtle but are just right.