Cream of Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, combine the 4 cups of broth, lentils, bay leaf and clove. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter until crisp-tender. Add the carrots, salt, sugar, curry powder and pepper; saute until vegetables are tender, 2-3 minutes longer . Add garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- Drain lentils; discard broth, bay leaf and clove. Add to vegetable mixture. Stir in the spinach, remaining 2 cups broth, cream, lemon juice and parsley; cook over low heat until heated through and spinach is wilted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 344 calories, 20g fat (13g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 635mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 24, 2017
Here video me trying out recipe.https://youtu.be/N5iJ_mjGM84
Nov 11, 2014
Loved this soup. This will be a staple recipe. I think next time I will throw in some bacon
Oct 29, 2011
Loved the soup, especially the subtle curry flavor. I also felt the 1-1/2 cups of cream did not make the soup "soupy" enough so I added what was left of the broth that I had drained. I also substituted light cream for the heavy cream. I will definately make this soup again.
Jan 13, 2011
I'm never going to cook lentis any other way. This is one of the best recipes I have tried.
Nov 23, 2010
Ok, I got it. You do have to throw away the broth (it's got an earthy flavour, not so nice). The soup tastes great, btw.
Nov 23, 2010
I am making the soup right now and I'm not sure whether I should discard the broth in which I boiled the lentils. Will I really get 2 1/2 quarts of soup if I throw that away? Is the recipe badly written? Am I missing something here?
Nov 11, 2010
This recipe appealed to me because it was so different from the usual tomato-based lentil soup recipes. We really enjoyed it. The only problem I had was that the 1 -1/2 cups of cream did not make the mixture "soupy" enough. I had used evaporated milk rather than cream, but that should have made no difference. I added perhaps another cup of fat-free half & half to make the soup liquid enough. It was delicious, however! The seasonings are very subtle but are just right.