Cream of Pea Soup
Field editor Edie DeSpain of Logan, Utah suggests, "This creamy soup is nice for supper on a chilly night. It's so simple to make with canned peas."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Drain peas, reserving 1/3 cup liquid. Place peas and liquid in a blender or food processor; cover and puree until smooth. Set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, sugar, salt, pepper and sage until blended. Gradually add water; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in milk and pureed peas; heat through. Garnish with bacon.