Cream of Pea Soup
Field editor Edie DeSpain of Logan, Utah suggests, "This creamy soup is nice for supper on a chilly night. It's so simple to make with canned peas."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Drain peas, reserving 1/3 cup liquid. Place peas and liquid in a blender or food processor; cover and puree until smooth. Set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, sugar, salt, pepper and sage until blended. Gradually add water; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in milk and pureed peas; heat through. Garnish with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 278 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Cream of Pea Soup in Taste of Home April/May 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.