Onion Cream Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup diced process cheese (Velveeta)
- Shredded cheddar cheese and minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook onions in 3 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat until tender. Add the broth, bouillon and pepper; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add process cheese and onion mixture. Cook and stir until heated through and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 292 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 1146mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jun 9, 2017
Base recipe is solid. I added celery, shallots & a bit of red pepper flakes & Worcestershire sauce and pureed the soup till smooth. The recipe is excellent as far as proportions. I also had no fake cheese so used a bit of extra chedder.
Feb 21, 2016
I used to buy the canned cream soup at the store, but after trying this recipe, I'm hooked on homemade. This was so rich and creamy and really easy! I am going to use it as a base for cream of mushroom, and cream of chicken and even broccoli cheese soup. I did also make a few changes, I didn't have velveeta but used Kraft sliced cheese as it is also processed and I also used coconut milk. I think that made it a little creamier. Thanks so much!
Nov 16, 2014
Great flavor and easy to make! Made as written except mixed milk and half & half (as I had some to use up). Served with a homemade loaf of crusty bread. Perfect for a cool fall dinner.
Nov 15, 2013
This is delicious. My boyfriend loves it and between us we have 4 kids ages 10,11, 12 &13 and even all 4 kids love it --That's saying a lot. I used about a 1/3 of a cup of white cooking wine after the onions were tender and let it simmer a couple minutes then added the broth, bouillon, and pepper, also used rice flour to thicken since i am gluten free. This recipe is a keeper !!!
Oct 15, 2013
I just made this for lunch and had to write a review right away. This was delicious! I made 2 small changes. I didn't have Velveeta but did have Cheez Whiz so I used 1/4 cup of that. Plus we only have skim milk and I have learned the hard way that doesn't always work well for these recipes. However I had 3/4 cup of heavy cream left over from a dessert recipe I tried . I figured the extra fat in that would off-set the fat-free skim milk so I used it plus 3/4 cup of milk. I will make this again!
Jun 20, 2010
I add extra Velveeta because I am a cheese freak. But, this recipe is so simple and delicious I make it quite often. YUMMY!
Jan 15, 2009
This was wonderful...I will reduce the amount of onion next time to about 1/2 because my slicer cuts things so FINE!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.