Creamy Potato and Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes10-12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup Velveeta, cubed, or cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 large potatoes, peeled, diced and cooked (about 8 cups)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion, celery and carrot in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add soup, cheese, potatoes and seasoned salt; mix well. Cook and stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 311 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 494mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Sep 28, 2017
Very good we really enjoyed it.
Feb 16, 2016
It felt like it needed some spice, but it was good. I would make it again.
Jan 5, 2016
Excellent!!! The whole family loved it.
Jul 18, 2014
Wow, my son made this and invited us over for dinne! Delicious, it tastes like there's cream in the soup and was surprised to find out my son used 2% milk not heavy cream. Definitely a keeper plus my son is a great cook, thanks to his many talents and Taste of Home! He also said the recipe was easy and he had all the ingredients at home. Yummy!!
Oct 20, 2013
Jul 2, 2013
delicious!- super easy and fast!
Oct 2, 2012
This has become a staple recipe in my house. Everyone loves it & there's never any leftovers!
Aug 8, 2012
Excellent flavor! Reminded me of times with my grandma. She makes some of the best potato soup.
Jan 7, 2012
Very tasty recipe with a really good home cooked flavor. Although we did make a few changes: I used cream of chicken since there was no cream of mushroom in the house and we used a whole cup of Velveeta since the family loves cheese. Great soup.
Nov 8, 2011
I love how creamy and full of flavor this delicious soup is... I'm definitely adding this one as a favorite!