Creamy Onion Gravy
You don't need to worry about having enough pan drippings from your turkey to make this gravy from our Test Kitchen. Prepare it anytime you serve mashed potatoes.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Transfer to a small bowl; set aside.
- In the same pan, melt remaining butter over medium-low heat. Combine the flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper; whisk into butter until smooth. Gradually add buttermilk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in onion.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 99 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Gravy in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007