Apple Butter & Onion Gravy
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter. Stir in flour and seasonings. Whisk cornstarch and chicken stock until smooth; gradually stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Stir in cream cheese and apple butter; cook and stir just until blended.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared apple butter.
Dec 1, 2014
Great, unique flavor. I'm always looking for gravy recipes to make when I fry a turkey (no drippings). Definitely will make again, especially when I want to wow the crowd.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.