Creamy Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon each salt, pepper and paprika
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes,1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup each coarsely chopped green and sweet red pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 7 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Warm biscuits
- In a Dutch oven, cook and stir the chicken, salt, pepper and paprika in oil until the chicken juices run clear, stirring occasionally; drain. Add the vegetables, basil, bay leaf, celery salt and 5 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Remove bay leaf. In a large saucepan, melt butter; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until smooth. Gradually whisk in remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour into the Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve with biscuits.
Dec 6, 2016
So easy to put together....I left out the peppers (our little boy doesn't like peppers) I added 2 tbsps sage as we love it so much
Oct 13, 2015
Loved this! I did sub the peppers with fresh green beans cut up ( we can't handle the peppers ) and I didn't have any regular paprika and used smoked paprika. I was a little worried browning the chicken with its smell but this came out great! I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing!
Aug 25, 2015
A nice basic chicken stew. I left out the peppers and added a few green beans. Excellent.
Nov 17, 2011
this is a big hit with our friends only thing we changed was used small red potatoes cut in bite size peaces excellent
Nov 17, 2011
this is a big hit with our friends only thing we changed was used small red potatoes cut in bite size peaces excelent
Aug 9, 2011
My husband refuses to eat this, but a couple years ago, I made it for my grandchildren. They enjoyed it. It could use more herbs.
Jan 28, 2011
There should be a circle for Maybe. This is wonderfully creamy, but since I made it with homemade broth, it lacked chicken flavor. I resorted to two chicken bouillon cubes and put in half a small jar of poultry seasoning. I left out the green and red peppers. Perhaps McCormick's chicken base would have worked better.
Jan 20, 2011
I was not a fan of the red pepper in this recipe. I am still on a search for the perfect creamy chicken stew recipe :(
Feb 2, 2010
This recipe is a keeper. Down home flavor . It has become one of my comfort foods.
Dec 3, 2009
I took this stew to a church event and had requests for the recipe. This is my new go to recipe for cold weather.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.