Creamy Onion Dip
Here, caramelized onions are teamed up with Gruyere cheese for a rich appetizer fit for a classic cocktail party.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 4 cups finely chopped sweet onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Assorted crackers or breadsticks
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the onions, butter, wine, garlic and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until onions are tender and golden brown.
- Discard bay leaf. Stir in the Gruyere cheese, cream cheese and sour cream. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until cheese is melted. Serve warm with crackers.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup (calculated without crackers and breadsticks): 176 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 141mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Slow-Cooker Carmelized Onion Dip in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.