Creamy Root Veggie Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large celery root, peeled and cubed (about 5 cups)
- 6 medium parsnips, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Additional minced fresh thyme
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir onion in bacon drippings 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add celery root, parsnips, stock and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan. Stir in cream, 2 teaspoons thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg; heat through. Top servings with bacon and additional thyme.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 295 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 851mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein.
Oct 3, 2019
What is celery root?
Dec 29, 2018
Could you make this in an instant potplease [email protected]
Oct 27, 2017
This recipe was a pleasant surprise. Delicious! I was looking for a new preparation to my pan-fried parsnips. It didn't disappoint.
Nov 4, 2015
Absolutely delicious! I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe.
Jan 18, 2015
This soup was good, had a sweeter flavor than I expected.
Dec 8, 2014
This soup was delicious. I decided to add ham along with the bacon. The first time around that i made this, there were too many complaints about there not being enough meat. Great recipe.