Butternut Squash & Pear Soup
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Cook: 45 min.
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Balsamic vinegar and snipped chives, optional
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly; scoop out pulp and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the curry, garlic, ginger and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pears and squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Return all to the pan; add cream and heat through. Top with balsamic vinegar and chives if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 190 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Jan 7, 2018
Just made this soup and we loved it just as written! Definitely a keeper. It is a healthy soup, very filling, but not too much. I garnished it with a balsamic glaze. I will make it again!
Oct 30, 2017
this was a good soup, however the seasoning level needed to be kicked up a notch.
Dec 6, 2016
This soup was absolutely delicious before I put the heavy cream in, but afterwards it was just good. I think the cream takes away from the flavor, but it didn't do me from going back for more. I won't add it next time. I'm not sure about the balsamic vinegar either. ..I could take it or leave it.
Jan 8, 2016
Love, love, love this soup. I added a dash of cinnamon to each serving and lightly stirred to create a swirling effect....If you want to make an impression on your next dinner party, make this as your first course...everyone will want the recipe!
Oct 19, 2013
Outstanding!!! One of our favorite soups. I use 1/2 & 1/2 instead of the cream.
Jan 16, 2012
THIS IS THE BEST SOUP. I have shared this soup and recipe with SO many. EVERYONE LOVES IT!!! Thank you.
Nov 6, 2011
Absolutely amazing! The pears and butternut squash merry very well!
Oct 30, 2011
This soup was FANTASTIC! I didn't have fresh ginger on hand either so I used dried. I have to say, the balsamic is an excellent touch.
Oct 30, 2011
This soup is awesome! I used only half the curry because I'm not a big curry fan. You must do the balsamic drizzle to really take this soup from ordinary to extraordinary however. With the drizzle and the chives it becomes world-class.
Oct 14, 2011
Made the recipe according to directions...omitted the balsamic & chives. Creamy texture was fabulous. shared the recipe and samples with four friends. All said they LOVED IT! They shared the recipe too! must try recipe.