Pureed Butternut Squash Soup
For several years, we've been enjoying this velvety, healthy soup at Thanksgiving. Butternut squash isn’t the easiest thing to cut into, so I buy mine pre-chopped. —Christen Chalmers, Houston, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- In a small saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in squash, stock, sage, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process in a blender until smooth. Sprinkle servings with pepper flakes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 126 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Soup in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.