Butternut Squash and Barley Soup
I love to use my garden produce in this veggie-packed soup. Serve it with oatmeal dinner rolls and you've got a delicious, healthy dinner. —Julie Sloan, Osceola, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5-1/4 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 small butternut squash (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 4 cups water
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked turkey
- Place all ingredients, except turkey, in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until squash and barley are tender, 5-7 hours.
- Stir in turkey; cook, covered until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Freeze Option: Transfer to three 1-qt. freezer containers; cool. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. To use frozen soup, thaw in the refrigerator. Place in a saucepan and heat through.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 120 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 493mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Butternut Squash and Barley Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018