Butternut Squash and Sausage Soup
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8 servings (3-1/4 quarts)
- 1 large butternut squash (4 to 4-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Corn bread croutons and additional yogurt, optional
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 45-60 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly. Scoop out pulp; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, cook onion and apple in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the seasonings; cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add broth and squash; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Cool slightly. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in sausage and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Just before serving, stir in 2/3 cup yogurt, sage and vinegar. Serve with croutons and additional yogurt if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups (calculated without optional ingredients): 222 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 14g protein.
Mar 25, 2017
just wasn't for me -did not like the flavor
Oct 24, 2015
My husband called this soup "terrific"! I liked it too, but the sausage was disappointing - probably the brand that I used. I subbed light sour cream for the yogurt & 1 tsp dried sage instead of fresh. I would make this again.
Nov 3, 2013
I added four more sausages (and I should have added even more than that) for the meat lovers in the family. I think the sausage added to the soup's flavor. It wasn't a total hit with my company; in fact, if someone even slightly liked squash, they loved this recipe, but if they didn't like squash, forget it! This soup does have a very odd combination of flavors.
Mar 19, 2012
The soup was good, but since I don't eat meat I had to modify it very slightly--I left out the sausage and added a 1/2 teaspoon of liquid Hickory smoke. Believe me, you'll never miss the sausage, and it makes it more economical, too. Just put it in a soup mug and sip your way to contentment!
Mar 8, 2012
Great recipe! I love butternut squash but have never paired it with sausage before. Great combination. Definitely adding it to my favorites!
Mar 8, 2012
Great recipe, very yummy! Nice flavor. Hearty and healthy soup that my husband and son loved!
Mar 6, 2012
My husband and I both enjoyed this soup. It has good flavor consistency. It will go on my list of favorites!