Easy Butternut Squash Soup
When the weather turns cold, get cozy with a bowl of this butternut squash soup. This recipe is super easy. The cream adds richness, but if you're looking to cut calories, it can be omitted. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium butternut squash (3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Crispy sage leaves, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in squash, broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until squash is tender. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pan. Add cream; cook and stir until heated through. If desired, garnish with additional heavy whipping cream and crispy sage.