Creamy Butternut Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 3 medium potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups water
- Sour cream and minced fresh chives, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree
- soup in batches in a blender; return to pan and heat through. If desired, serve with sour cream and chives.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 112 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Aug 30, 2014
My family loved this soup. I have now made it several times.
Jan 6, 2014
My family loved this- left out the garlic. Great for lunch on a cold winter day. Topped with croutons. Will save recipe on Pinterest!
Nov 19, 2013
So creamy and yummy.
Dec 30, 2012
This is a family favorite!!!!
Nov 3, 2012
Recipe was very easy to make. We loved the consistency of the soup and the subtle mild flavor. Sour cream enhanced the flavor. I used a butternut squash; but I'll try buttercup next time which I think will give it more flavor.
Jan 22, 2012
I loved the simplicity of this recipe, but my husband and I thought it was completely void of flavor. I tried the brown sugar and nutmeg that another reviewer suggested. I even dumped in some black pepper. We still didn't like it.
Nov 9, 2011
I must have made a different soup but no one in my family would eat.
Feb 17, 2011
really good and easy to make.
Jan 20, 2011
Perfect consistency. I also add 1/4 tsp. nutmeg and about 3 Tbsp. brown sugar. The flavor is enhanced if you use roasted squash and simply blend it in with the potato mixture. To quickly blend, I use a hand blender right in the dutch oven.
Nov 24, 2010
Very Yummy..Filling and low cal....
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.