Butternut Squash Butter
Looking for a tasty way to use up those pumpkins and have a wonderful gift during the holidays? My pumpkin butter is delicious on biscuits or homemade bread, and also makes a tempting filling for miniature tart shells. —Wanda Richardson, Somers, Montana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 6 cups mashed cooked butternut squash or pumpkin
- 2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Place all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture reaches a thick, spreadable consistency, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 39 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Pumpkin Butter in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.