Butternut Squash Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Sugar In The Raw
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add squash, milk, eggs, butter, sugar and salt; mix well. Gradually add 3-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into three loaves; place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until tops are golden. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 92 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Aug 7, 2013
Soft and delicious!
Feb 15, 2012
My family just loves this bread! It has a beautiful pale orange color and the squash makes it so moist.
Oct 17, 2011
This bread is such a pretty color. People who don't like squash can't even tell that the squash is what gives it the wonderful flavor. I may make it for Thanksgiving this year for a change of pace. A real treat.
Sep 20, 2011
Brush loaves with butter while warm from oven for a prettier loaf. I made 2 loaves of bread and a pan of biscuits. Really a pretty yellow for fall enjoyment !
Jun 25, 2011
Great recipe, easy, good texture & a picky child loved the yellow taste !
Oct 2, 2010
How might we make a smaller batch of the wonderful Bread?