- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add squash, milk, eggs, butter, sugar and salt; mix well. Gradually add 3-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into three loaves; place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until tops are golden. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
1 slice: 92 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.