Butternut Squash Custard
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 medium butternut squash (2 to 3 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, 8-10 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash the squash with flour and sugar until blended; beat in the milk, eggs and butter. Pour into an ungreased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ingredients.
- Bake at 350° until center appears set, 55-65 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 202 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Oct 21, 2019
In our Thanksgiving standard Butternut squash recipe, I cut the sugar back to about 1/4 Cup. I add chopped dates or raisins and chopped pecans to the custard along with the spices (to taste) before baking.
Oct 6, 2014
We didn't know we were going to LOVE this custard! Yummy, just the right amount of spice, not overwhelming. Delightful. Even the non-squash loving teenager in our house devoured it. I used a hand held blender to cream/mash the mixture to remove squash lumps. Since I was uncertain of it's 'doneness' baked a little over 65 minutes. Perfect!