Baked Butternut Squash
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 1 hour.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix seasoning ingredients. Halve squash lengthwise; remove and discard seeds. Place squash in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with seasonings.
- Place 2 teaspoons brown sugar in the cavity of each half. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar over cut surfaces.
- Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Uncover; bake until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 120 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jan 5, 2020
This is a good recipe. We like the spice combination. But take into consideration the size of the squash for cook time. The one I used was large so it took much longer to bake and needed a bit more spices. My husband added honey to part of it. He said it enhanced the flavor but I prefer it as is.
Nov 7, 2019
I bake it an extra 10-15 minutes more than the recipe calls for. I wait for it to cool, then scoop it out, put it in a bowl. I then add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of real maple syrup and emulsify it. Wow!! Tastes like pumpkin pudding!! You can adjust the maple syrup according to how sweet you want it. And DO NOT use pancake syrup. That is not real maple syrup. ??
Jan 5, 2018
This can also be made in the IP in less than half the time. When done, I then fork the squash and add the butter and seasonings.
Sep 15, 2015
My squash was already cut up into cubes, I tossed it with the other ingredients and baked. Great fall side dish!
Jan 3, 2014
Baked the recommended time and then added the additional time as mentioned in the recipe. It was still hard as a rock. Cut t up in bites and MW'd for 10 minutes, cut it into bites and fed it to the 5 dogs (they need veggies too.
Dec 16, 2013
Great taste. I peel and chunk then toss with butter and spices. Roast 400* approx 35 min.
Nov 26, 2011
This was excellant just the way it was!
Sep 6, 2011
I thought this turned out perfect. I will definitely make again with other types of squash.
Oct 25, 2010
I changed this recipe just a tad, by peeling the squash, and cutting it into 2 inch cubes. I used acorn squash in place of the butternut a few times and it came out great. The guys at my husbands deer camp think this is a fantastic recipe.