Butternut Squash Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk and water. Add the butter, salt, sugar, squash and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Form into rolls; place in two greased 10-in. cast-iron skillets or 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 135 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 1, 2017
We subbed in a gluten-free flour blend and thought these turned out well! They had a slightly sweet flavor and would go great with so many different dishes. Will definitely make again!
Nov 20, 2016
OH MY!! These are addicting. I used the bread machine to do the work and then I put the rolls in the iron skillet. This is a keeper! I used almond milk and 1/2 butter and 1/2 coconut oil. Got another batch going right now.
Oct 14, 2014
What a fun way to use butternut squash! Nobody eve argues about hot rolls at dinner time so It was a great success! I just zapped the fresh butternut squash from my garden in the microwave for a few minutes and was able to cook and prepare the squash easily. The rolls fit perfectly into two deep dish pie pans.
Jun 11, 2014
I've made these for our Thanksgiving dinner and they're delicious. My brothers couldn't believe they had actually eaten squash!
Jan 28, 2014
loved this recipe i did make some changes for health. i split the butter i used 1 1/2 tbsp butter and 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil and also used coconut milk instead of reg. milk and turned out great. still had a great butter flavor and my in laws who will not try it if you tell them it is healthier could not tell a diff.
Aug 20, 2013
I used a whole grain wheat flour instead of white & they turned out so good. My kids couldn't get enough of them!!! Will definitely make again!
Oct 20, 2011
I've made this several times, I usually substitute half whole wheat flour for half of the white flour. The Grandkids love these!
Jan 27, 2011
We love these rolls! They are very easy and seriously delicious. I use whole wheat flour in place of some of the all-purpose.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.