Whole Wheat Potato Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min.+ rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 to 4-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Quick-cooking oats, optional
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, eggs, potato flakes, salt, yeast mixture, all-purpose flour and 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining whole wheat flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 24 balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Brush tops with melted butter; if desired, sprinkle with oats. Bake 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 182 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Jan 18, 2013
We loved these rolls, they were great fresh and leftover. Using as buns is a great idea!
Jan 18, 2013
The direction to add the yeast was left out of the magazine version, but it has been corrected here.
Jan 14, 2013
When is the yeast added to the other ingredients? The recipe doesn't say...
Dec 31, 2012
These were great! The recipe made so many, we used the leftovers as hamburger buns!
Nov 20, 2012
So yummy, reminded me of the brown and serve rolls you by in the store only better.
Nov 11, 2012
I made these rolls today...WOW, were they good.....A keeper for sure. I plan on having them for Thanksgiving.
Nov 8, 2012
These rolls are pretty easy & very tasty! Will make them again.
Oct 25, 2012
These rolls are so good and so easy to make. I made some of them a little larger,(big enough to use as hamburger buns). I will be making them again and again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.